By Steve Kania
In today’s world of e-commerce and cloud computing, data security has become a major issue for business owners. From a payroll perspective, all of the key data necessary to pay employees accurately and on time is stored electronically. This is a big responsibility and accountants should make sure their clients are working with a payroll company that takes it seriously.
Here are some of the key security features their payroll services provider should offer:
• Data center alarmed and monitored by on-site security 24/7.
• Data center equipped with redundant power, networking and additional systems to ensure availability. In other words, there should be backup to the backup to the backup to the backup.
• Secure login for authorized payroll account users.
• Multiple layers of firewalls, intrusion detection and anti-virus.
• Ongoing security testing 24/7, so issues are fixed before impacting the customer.
Tell your clients they should ask their payroll provider if they have these measures in place. Their data is too important not to take every precaution.